With all the conflicting information and a complex set of terminology, merchants may get confused in today’s marketplace when trying to set-up their payment processing options. The card payment steps are actually rather simple whether it’s a complicated integrated solution or a stand-alone POS terminal.
How a Payment Card Transaction Works:
1. A cardholder purchases goods or services from a merchant
2. The merchant sends the transaction information to an Acquirer
(Merchant Bank) and is reimbursed for the sale less a "discount fee"
3. The Acquirer submits the transaction to the Issuing Bank
for payment via either the MasterCard or Visa settlement system
4. The Issuer pays the Acquirer for the purchase less
the interchange fee, through the settlement system
5. The cardholder repays the Issuer for the goods or
services originally purchased from the merchant
The Authorization Process only takes about 3-15 seconds. Basically, when the customer pays by credit card, it goes from the business store to a Transaction Server, then an Acquiring Bank, finally to an Issuing Bank and all the way back again.
Whether they are large or small,
well-known or brand new,
merchants benefit from
accepting payment credit cards.
• Increased Sales -
When customers are not restricted by cash on hand, they tend to spend more.
Accepting these payments supports
additional purchases that might have not been made otherwise, as well as drive a higher average ticket for your business
• Customer Satisfaction - Customers love the flexibility they have now to be able to pay with debit, credit card, or a specialty product. They now can pay how, where, and when they want. These happy customers will soon be loyal customers
• Operating Efficiencies - By automating many store procedures with electronic transactions, you are able to save time and money. Speed up your checkout lines and get paid that much faster
• Safety and Slippage - Keep cash on hand at a minimum with electronic payments so that you can reduce the chances of clerical mistakes and theft
Integrated Payments Solutions for Your Business
There are so many options merchants have to face for their electronic payment processing. PPI specializes in the processing needs of a new merchant and match them with the optimal solution. As time passes, PPI will continue to support those evolving payment needs.
Return to the POS library.
Contact Us for the Best Deals Anywhere: 1-866-468-5767